November 4th, 2012
Great Northern? I guess we’re either being railroaded or being sold beans…
Wednesday, November 7th
11:00 am – 1pm
Hermantown Government Services Building, Training Center Room
5105 Maple Grove Road
Hermantown, MN 55811
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
2301 South Highway 169
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Thursday, November 8th
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Hibbing Memorial Building Arena, Downstairs Dining Room
400 East 23rd Street
Hibbing, MN 55746
5:00 – 7:00 pm
Meadowlands Community Center
7758 Western Avenue
Meadowlands, MN 55765
I have a few questions, of course, that’s my job, but first, in Minnesota, transmission corridors are to be used, routes that don’t utilize existing corridors. From an old EQB transmission map, here’s what I’ve got in that general area:
And from an old MAPP map, between Blackberry and Hermantown, two named substations that this line will connect:
Again, this is an old map, and some things have changed…
- one thing that’s clear from the MP map, if you zoom in, or go to google earth, the line going from Cohasset to Blackberry on the north, there are TWO lines in that corridor. Need more info.
- What’s the need claim for this line? The only thing I’ve heard is that they’ve got 250MW coming from Manitoba Hydro.
- What are the conductor specs? The line ratings are here in the MTEP 12 Appendix A, but why a 500kV line for so little MVA (click chart below for larger version)?
- What’s planned for Wisconsin to Michigan? MP and ATC reached a transmission agreement in February: American Transmission Co., Minnesota Power enter into partnership agreement.
- What’s that about a 345 kV line when the MISO MTEP Appendix A says 500 kV (and nominal MVA for a 500 kV line)?
To look at the Certificate of Need docket, go HERE – PUC’S SEARCH DOCKET PAGE and search for docket 12–1163. After you look it up, you can subscribe for notice of future filings by clicking “SUBSCRIBE” and following the directions!
The Notice Plan is up for review:
This is the plan by which they’ll give people notice about the pending Certificate of Need application, and Comments are due by 4:30 p.m. November 19, 2012, and Reply Comments are due by 4:30 p.m. December 10, 2012. Email comments with “Notice Plan Comments Docket 12-1163” in the subject and body of email to: email@example.com.